Statement of Commitment to Diversity
Illinois Public Media (IPM) is committed to fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion to maintain a fair, unbiased work environment, and to enhance our ability to effectively serve the public as a media organization. Diversity at IPM encompasses our differences, including, but not limited to, race, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation, religion, socio-economic status, physical ability, national and geographic origin, marital status, and veteran status.
WILL-TV/Illinois Public Media is licensed to the University of Illinois. The University of Illinois Board of Trustees' nondiscrimination statement, ethics policies, and equal opportunity information reflect state and federal law as well as the University's and Board's commitments to equal opportunity, affirmative action and diversity.
Illinois Public Media Diversity Goals
- To recruit and retain a diverse workforce that is representative of our service area.
- To provide equal opportunity in employment.
- To educate our management and staff annually in best practices for maintaining an inclusive and diverse environment for all persons.
- To seek candidates for IPM's Community Advisory Committee that represent the geographically and demographically diverse composition of the many communities we serve.
- To assist in developing a more diverse future workforce with professional skills in the broadcasting/media industry by recruiting diverse candidates for Illinois Public Media internship and work-study student opportunities and/or by participating in minority or other diversity job fairs.
Diversity Policy Practices and Initiatives
- Illinois Public Media will review with the University licensee official those practices that are designed to fulfill our commitment to diversity and to meet the applicable FCC guidelines. These practices are described in the following points and are outlined in the FCC Form 396 Narrative Statement (Attachment) as filed with the Station's license renewal.
- Illinois Public Media is committed to diversity and equal employment opportunity in every aspect of personnel policy and practice including: recruitment, selection, placement, training and advancement of employees.
- Recruitment for all full-time and permanent part-time employment opportunities at Illinois Public Media takes place through an open and fair process following the guidelines of the University of Illinois Office of Equal Opportunity and Access and University Staff Human Resources.
- IPM job postings are submitted to professional minority organizations, such as NABJ and NAHJ, and special efforts are made by management and search committee members to recruit minority candidates by email and the internet. Interviews of qualified candidates are held with the goal of achieving or maintaining diversity.
- IPM will complete longer-term recruitment initiatives as required by FCC-EEO Rule 47 C.F.R. 73.2080. These initiatives, such as attending job fairs, establishing internship programs, and participating in programs sponsored by educational institutions relating to broadcasting career opportunities, are reported in the FCC EEO Annual Report.
- Seminars or workshops will be provided annually to Illinois Public Media managers and other appropriate staff on ways to create a more diverse workforce and to maintain a culture of respect and non-discrimination. Presentations will be made by University of Illinois Human Resources or other professional sources. IPM management will also review practices designed to fulfill IPM's commitment to diversity and to meet applicable FCC guidelines, as documented in the FCC EEO Annual Report and in the annual IPM Diversity Report.
- The IPM Diversity Report will be completed annually and posted to the Illinois Public Media website. The IPM Annual Diversity Report will include: date(s) of diversity training, description, and list of participants; overview of internship and student crew postings and list of diversity recruitment sources; FCC EEO Annual Report, which includes diverse recruitment sources and longer-term initiatives and outreach efforts; diversity statistics for employees (including hourly and work study students) for the current fiscal year.
- The IPM Community Advisory Committee shall review this policy and any subsequent revisions annually.
University of Illinois Board of Trustees Policy Documents http://www.uillinois.edu/trustees/policy-documents.cfm
University of Illinois Office of Equal Opportunity and Access https://oeoa.illinois.edu
University of Illinois Diversity Initiative www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
Illinois Public Media EEO Policy statement http://will.illinois.edu/jobs/eeo/
Illinois Public Media Annual FCC EEO Reports http://will.illinois.edu/about/publicfile/
Reviewed by WILL-TV licensee official:
Vice President, Chief Financial Officer and Comptroller
University of Illinois